Marine and Aviation Coverage

Marine and Aviation Coverage

“These two programs are specific to operation of marine and aviation vehicles owned by the University, in which the University has an insurable interest, in the care, custody or control of the University; for which the University has agreed to insure under written contract prior to a loss; or for which the University is legally liable. These programs are designed to provide coverage for (1) risks of physical loss or damage to University marine or aviation vehicles; (2) liabilities arising from the University’s marine and aviation operations that result in bodily injury and/or property damage to third party(ies); and (3) foreign shipments of University property.” BFB-BUS-81: Insurance Programs

Marine Insurance

Coverage for hull damage or loss to boats, trailers, engines and machinery is covered under a Commercial Marine Insurance Policy. This insurance is not automatic. To obtain coverage for watercraft hull and machinery, you must specifically request or “schedule” coverage prior to any loss. To schedule a new department owned boat, notify Risk Management via Further for university owned vessels, Risk Management Services collects information quarterly from departments on updates and changes to report to the broker. If you have a loss, report it immediately to Risk Management via the Property Loss Report. The deductible per boat is based on the value of the boat - 1% of the insured value subject to a $250 minimum.

Aviation Insurance 

Employees using non-University owned aircraft on University business must meet the following minimum aviation requirements prior to piloting aircraft. These requirements have been established by the University and its insurance underwriters. 

  • Employee pilots must have a current private pilot's license and a minimum of 10 hours of flying time as pilot in command in the same make and model of aircraft in the preceding 90 days. 
  • To carry passengers, employee pilots must either have logged 500 hours of actual flight time as a licensed private pilot in command of an aircraft, or possess a valid commercial (or higher type) pilot license issued by the Federal Aviation Administration.
  • A current Pilot History Form must be on file with Risk Management and must be updated annually. Contact Risk Management via for the form.  
  • Employee pilots must provide evidence of Aviation Liability Insurance with a minimum combined single limit $1 million without a passenger seat sublimit. A certificate of insurance naming The Regents as additional insured must be provided to Risk Management.